Suffering
We have been called to suffer – to share in suffering just as Christ suffered.
“But rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings . . .” —1 Peter 4:13
“But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God. For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps.” — 1 Peter 2:20-21
I want to be used by God. I know that this means I may have to go through many trials – many fires – many sufferings – many, many times – over and over again. I know this. I want to be faithful – no matter what. I want to be a good wife – the Proverbs 32 kind. I long to be a great mother – the unforgettable kind. I want to be a good daughter and sister and aunt and niece and cousin and friend. I want to make a difference – a difference for Him.
I know the trials and sufferings He takes me through are sometimes for me and sometimes for others. I know that sometimes I will be someone else’s nourishment.
Does this mean I want to suffer? Heck no! Absolutely not. That would be absurd.
What it does mean is that even if it means suffering, I want to be in the center of God’s will.
Much as I would like to know the ‘shortcut’ sometimes, I want to be found faithful til the end. Even when I don’t understand, it’s my desire to stay the course – even when the circumstances are overwhelming – even when the course is dark and lonely, knowing, that I will one day in amazement say, “Lord, God, Almighty – I never knew – Thank You!” as I fall at His feet in gratitude and appreciation for all the things He was doing for me when it seemed He had forgotten.
Right now, I am certainly experiencing some fierce storms and dark times. I know they are nothing compared to what others have endured or may be going through now. Even so, these times are real. In the midst of my fiery trials and dark sufferings, this brings COMFORT to know that He is working good in the midst. They are all for good. I’ve heard it for so many years – it’s becoming truly real now though.
“For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our COMFORT is abundant through Christ.” — 2 Corinthians 1:5
The verse that Nancy and I have been clinging to since her cancer diagnosis brings much me SO MUCH ABUNDANT COMFORT –
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.” – Isaiah 43:1-3
Ahhh – I am comforted by His words!
“But rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings . . .” —1 Peter 4:13
“But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God. For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps.” — 1 Peter 2:20-21
I want to be used by God. I know that this means I may have to go through many trials – many fires – many sufferings – many, many times – over and over again. I know this. I want to be faithful – no matter what. I want to be a good wife – the Proverbs 32 kind. I long to be a great mother – the unforgettable kind. I want to be a good daughter and sister and aunt and niece and cousin and friend. I want to make a difference – a difference for Him.
I know the trials and sufferings He takes me through are sometimes for me and sometimes for others. I know that sometimes I will be someone else’s nourishment.
Does this mean I want to suffer? Heck no! Absolutely not. That would be absurd.
What it does mean is that even if it means suffering, I want to be in the center of God’s will.
Much as I would like to know the ‘shortcut’ sometimes, I want to be found faithful til the end. Even when I don’t understand, it’s my desire to stay the course – even when the circumstances are overwhelming – even when the course is dark and lonely, knowing, that I will one day in amazement say, “Lord, God, Almighty – I never knew – Thank You!” as I fall at His feet in gratitude and appreciation for all the things He was doing for me when it seemed He had forgotten.
Right now, I am certainly experiencing some fierce storms and dark times. I know they are nothing compared to what others have endured or may be going through now. Even so, these times are real. In the midst of my fiery trials and dark sufferings, this brings COMFORT to know that He is working good in the midst. They are all for good. I’ve heard it for so many years – it’s becoming truly real now though.
“For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our COMFORT is abundant through Christ.” — 2 Corinthians 1:5
The verse that Nancy and I have been clinging to since her cancer diagnosis brings much me SO MUCH ABUNDANT COMFORT –
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.” – Isaiah 43:1-3
Ahhh – I am comforted by His words!



1 Comments:
goodness, i love you.
By
Michaela, at 9:07 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home