Kaki's Playground

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Dear Daddy

Dear Daddy,

I miss you.
I miss you SO MUCH!

There’s so much I want to tell you – so much I want to say.

I’ll always remember what a good husband you were to Mama.
I’ll always remember how you cared for her during her last year when she was so sick, much sicker than any of us knew.
Thank you for loving her!

I’ll always remember what a good father you were to all three of us – even when it wasn’t easy.
Even if you were perturbed at us for one reason or another, you have always been there for us.
Thank you for loving us – so much!

I’ll always remember as a little girl running to you when you came home from work – it’s one of my favorite memories.
Though I’m sure I hated it at the time, I now love the memory of standing on the front seat of the car as you squeezed my hand until we got home.
Speaking of hands, I have always loved it when we were out in public and you would hold by hand, or rub my back, or play with my hair. It reassured me that you loved me and were glad I was there with you.

I’ll always remember how compassionate you have been with me, especially in times of trouble – when I wrecked my car (especially the first time) – when I wrecked my car (the trooper) again – and you came and brought me jewelry - when I couldn’t have children and finally had to have a hysterectomy – you told me it would be okay – and it was and is better than okay - when I had procedure after procedure before my back surgery – and you called me every day – when I’ve had bad days of schooling the kids and you calmly reassured me - I could go on and on – I just want you to know how much your calm reassurance and expressions of love have meant to me over the years. I’ll carry that with me forever. I know I told you some of this, but I wish I could tell you again just to make sure you heard.

I’ll always remember what a gentleman you were. I don’t know anyone else who opens doors for women – every time. I don’t know anyone else who still carries a handkerchief. You were such an example – especially to my boys of what a gentleman looks like. Thank you!

I’ll always remember your generosity – to us and to so many others. You have always been so willing to help each of us out – whether we needed it or you just wanted to give us something – groceries, cars, money, the list is endless.

I’ll always remember that even during this last year of illness, people who came in contact with you said things like, “You couldn’t meet a nicer man.” Or “He’s the sweetest man.” How honored to know that they were talking about MY DADDY.

Daddy, you have been the best daddy a girl could ask for. More than anything, thank you for your role in introducing us to the Lord – even if it included getting pinched on the church pew. For more than anything else, I have full assurance that our family will always be together. Though physical death may separate us temporarily, it gives such peace to know that we will one day, all be together again.


I love you, Daddy!


1 Comments:

  • tears are streaming ..... that was beautiful, kaki. i'm more than excited about the reunion we'll all have one day. i love you. ♥ ♥ ♥

    By Blogger Michaela, at 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home